First Church of Christ, Scientist, has been standing on the corner of North State and School Street in Concord, NH since its construction was completed in 1904. Mary Baker Eddy commissioned and financed the building of the church in the late 1890’s. Cobb Hill Construction has been selected to complete a number of restoration projects at the Church in the past few years, but the current project is the most challenging.
Led by Project Manager Chuck Lowth, and Superintendant Ed Hannon, Cobb Hill is removing all of the original gas lighting fixtures – approximately 50 in number – to have them professionally restored and converted for electric use by an expert in Pennsylvania. While that is occurring, the wiring in the entire church is being upgraded to meet current standards. All of the original cypress trim is being restored to its original finish, and the plaster ceilings are also being repaired using state of the art techniques. Upon completion of the interior upgrades, the lighting fixtures will be re-installed. Adding to the complexity of the project, the pipes from the original 1904 Hutchins-Votey organ needed to be carefully removed and stored, and will be re-installed when the project is complete.
Cobb Hill is honored to have been chosen for this important and complex project.
Photos by Tim Drew